Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
In the late 60s I had a '49 3100 with a '58 235. It had a 3 speed column shift and 4.11 gears. It was fairly comfortable up to about 55mph. At 60-65 the engine started making noise in the valve train and not fun to drive there.

I would like to go at least 60 mph on the freeway, else one becomes an obstacle and upsets people.

I suspect some of my problems are due to a needed torque tube bushing, but the transmission will need to be looked at also. There is no reason not to upgrade the 4.11 if one plans to drive their pickup, unless one is driving up steep hills all the time.

It will cruse all day at 2,200 rpm at about 70-75 and 80 is not hard on it.

Wow, that's XLNT. I would be doing the snoopy dance if my '46 did that...I'm ok with 65-70, that's plenty fast for me. In fact, I try to keep it at 70 max on road trips.

There was an Over Drive unit made by Truckstill (I think) that fit into the closed driveline. I have only seen one and have been following that pickup for years. At some point I'm sure a younger family member will stick a V8 with an auto trans in it.

I would probably think about doing that to mine also, rather than going with an aftermarket overdrive, I bet it's not a cheap unit.

The big question is how much power one needs. Honestly I am wanting to slow down my life a bit, drive slower, smell the buds, err...I mean flowers along the way...my pickup is destined for Lake County, for better or worse, driving around Soda Bay over to pickup some hardware and lumber, driving back around the lake...if I was a truck I'd like that life...better than sitting in a dark barn... wink

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup