Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
My '53 has a T-5 and a 3.55 limited slip Dana 44 from a '68 GMC 1/2 ton. I think that is far easier than using the closed driveline especially since you wand to change the gears any way. I had to weld on new spring perches and modify a drive shaft. It is also easy when doing this to set the rear wheels in the center of the wheel cut out in the rear fenders. The hardest part is getting the E-brake to work. If you can find the right stuff you can also go to 2 1/2X 11 brakes.

The more I find out, the more I am leaning towards leaving the original 3-speed trans, swap out the 3.55 ring/pinion and drive it like that until I want to take on something more involved.

I don't know if I will ever attempt an s10 conversion with a v8, but I might. If I do I would probably go with a 327 most likely. And that would be where I would want to start swapping out the rear end and driveshaft most likely.

Thanks for your input...I'm also coming to the conclusion that I shouldn't do too much to it until I drive it for a bit to get a better feel of the limitations it has as-is.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup