Originally Posted By: TJ's Chevy
Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585

Hypereutectic rings? confused

I said the same thing when my machinist recommended them to me. lol They are a very strong and durable set of rings...basically called "Iron Hypereutectic Rings" They are easy sealing and you can twist then almost three times before they snap. I bought a set for my ross pistons and man...they are nice. There's alot of rings with Hypereutectic added to the name.

Hi TJ . . .but to CNC-Dude's point - (and to quote my English teacher) I think we're mixing modifiers here. A reference to rings that are compatible/preferred for use with hyper-eutectic pistons (slugs with high silicon content of aluminum cast/forged construction) - is not a reference to the eutectic properties of the alloy in the rings.

Specifically, eutectic mixtures of iron and carbon soon become steel. Hyper-eutectoid steel would be high carbon . . . a poor choice for rings.

The guys at Hastings Rings talk about the three common ring types here:
Hastings Ring Composition
and the reasons for choosing based on service conditions. Whereas, this posting from HotRodders looks at it from a slug composition, cylinder wall prep and bottom oil wetness angle.

regards,
stock49