Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BobJ Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
B
Thanks for adding me to the group. I hope I am posting this in the right place. I am looking for a main bearing cap (#3) or a short block for a 1954 Chevrolet 261 inline 6 cylinder. The cap broke while torquing bolts.
I do no the block will need to be line bored. Can anyone out there help me locate one.
Bob J

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The swap meet area would probably get more traffic for this type of inquiry. Unfortunately, permission is required to post there to weed out spam/phishing ads. You can message Stock49 for details....unfortunately again, a certain number of posts are required for new members before they can contact other members kinda' as a vetting process...

Last edited by CNC-Dude #5585; 09/20/24 10:21 PM.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hi BobJ . . .

It looks to me like there is only one part number for that cap used on all full pressure 53-55 235s and 261s. The parts wiki: '57 Master Parts Catalog shows the casting number 3836538. Is that the casting number you have in hand (but broken).

The good news you should be able to source a part from a (more common) 235 that is perhaps unusable and headed to scrap. In mid '55 they changed the bearings from being staked to using a tang to hold them in place.

I suspect one could modify a tang type bearing cap by drilling the relief on a drill press. A paint dab (on the raised stake-button) on new bearing shell could be used to locate the spot.

I am aware of one 261 that was heavily modified by a Club member. He replaced both the intermediates with heavier billet bits, custom-cut and then align bored.

regards,
stock49

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 41 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
crash, ocean1907, Jabez House, Phil P, BobJ
6,814 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement