#19488 03/22/05 11:01 AM
W
wdyer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Hello All,
After a long break, I have gotten snagged again, this time by a 1962 C-10 stepside from a mississippi farm. The current build is as follows.

235 ci
Offy manifold and dual progressives from Stovebolt
Saginaw 4 speed with shifter from Patricks
Electronc ignition module

My question is this: on the shift linkage, there appears to be a lot of slop (play at the termination ends of the rods). Shifting is very dificult, particularly 2 to 3. Can I shim the back side of the rods (washers) to reduce play, and would that help the shift ease?

Plans include a higher gear ration at the rear (3.38 to 2.73 depending on what I can get) and leaving the body untouched save replacement of rusted metal. Any help would be appreciated

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
yes you can shim it. i had the same set up & was able to to shift very smoothly after getting the slop out of it. use SAE size washers. this is pretty much a requirement for hurst shifters.

inliner # 3850
W
wdyer Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
W
Thanks, next question if I may. I dont have the $400.00 for a new ring and pinion set to raise the rear end gearing (2.72 to 3.38 hopefully) are there common gear sets that will fit my rear end? It is the stock '62 ten bolt unit

B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Why not score a late caprice or rear drive Impala rear end with 2.73 gears and weld on spring perches from the old rear end. I think they are near the same width dimensions. However, is'nt 2.73 a bit too tall, for a 235 in a 1/2 ton? Am I missing something? Is'nt it more likely the ratio now is 4.11? Sweet ol Bill

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 66 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Phil P, BobJ, Falconfixer, Roadmaster320, Bernefj60
6,811 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available